This competition is now closed. The winner was Hannah-Fleur Fitz-Gibbon with her short story By Heart – an intense and unsettling tale of a man struggling to come to terms with loss, and the trickery and illusion of a mind gripped by grief. It gripped the judges from start to finish. You can download the free ebook here.
We are delighted to be partnering up with the lovely people at Emerald Street (www.emeraldstreet.com) on their first ever writing competition, Emerald Street Stories. Here at Blackfriars we’re all about discovering and nurturing new (and forgotten) writing talent, so we’re very excited to be publishing the winner’s short story as an ebook. The winner and first two runners up will win a Kobo e-reader, and everyone who makes the shortlist will have their stories published on emeraldstreet.com.
Celeste Ng, author of the fantastic debut Everything I Never Told You (Amazon’s #1 Book of the Year, shortlisted for Goodreads Debut of the Year), has written a short story to kick things off. Like Celeste’s eerie tale, we’re looking for a fresh, original ghost story or supernatural thriller that readers won’t be able to put down.
You can read Celeste Ng’s short story ‘The Amaryllis Heart’ on emeraldstreet.com for some inspiration before you get started on your own. Happy writing!
- We’re looking for an original ghost story or supernatural thriller of 2,000-3,000 words, written in English. You must be resident in the UK to enter, over 18 and subscribed to the Emerald Street email – sign up here.
- Entries must be fiction and not have been previously published in print or online in any format, including self-published, been broadcast or won a competition, or be under consideration for publishing elsewhere.
- To enter, email your story as a Word or PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line SHORT STORY by midnight GMT on Monday 5 January 2015. Please include your contact details – name, address, telephone number, email address and Twitter handle, if applicable – in the body of your email as well as the title of your story, the word count and a 50-100 word biography.
- Entries will be judged by the Emerald Street team. Winners will be notified by email on or by Monday 19 January 2015. The results of the competition will be announced in Emerald Street in January 2015.
- The winner will have their story published by Blackfriars in digital format in January 2015. The ebook will be available for free download from Kindle, Kobo and emeraldstreet.com. One story per entrant only.
- By entering, you accept that prizewinning and shortlisted stories, as well as your name, may be published by Emerald Street and/or Blackfriars, in any anthology, and in any media from the closing date without remuneration. The winning writer assigns their right to be published as a free ebook to Shortlist Media Ltd for publication by Blackfriars. You also accept of all the above competition rules. Entries that fail to comply with rules and requirements will be disqualified. No correspondence can be entered into and the judges’ decisions are final.